Instructions – How to Wear a Below-Knee Ace Wrap
- The Goal of is to apply greatest compression distally and less proximally.
- It is generally best to include the knee to avoid window edema there.
- The Ace wrap should extend proximally well above the knee.
- Begin as shown on Fig. 1, pulling approximately 25-50% of the stretch of the ace.
- Fig. 2 shows how to catch the beginning of the ace and hold it in place.
- Extend the wrap well proximally and wrap very loosely there.
- Bring the wrap distally again to capture the remaining distal corner and again pulling 25-50% of the stretch out of the ace to ensure good distal compression.
- Continue wrapping in this fashion but moving more distally with each layer.
- A herringbone design often results with more layers distally.
- Finish with several longitudinal runs of paper tape to hold the successive layers in place.
- Keep any tape off of the skin.
Contact your local orthotist at Cornell O&P for any additional information you might need.